Monday 22 January 2007

Spamming

By Katharina Weber
E-Mail-Spamming has become a very common form of advertising today and is also considered as the most widely spread variant of spamming. There are many forms of spamming: You can find undesired ads, messages and posts all over the internet in forums, guest books and so on. I do not really care about spam in my e-mail-folder, I just delete it. Worrying about that wouldn’t really pay off.

But there is one form of spam that really drives me crazy: the sending of chain letters via e-mail and the sending of dubious messages in instant messaging programs such as ICQ. The reason why I hate that is simple: e-mail ads are sent to you by a computer from any firm. Chain letters and other undesired messages come to you from friends, and knowing that people are so silly to really believe what is written in such chain letters and messages gets me on my nerves. I really do not know why somebody sends such crap to his friends. Mostly such messages contain dubious threats, and you can only avert them by sending the message to all the people in your address book. Chain letters don’t have any sense beyond annoying people. Everyone who finds such crap in his e-mail folder should delete it. That is my opinion.

Another thing I don’t understand is why people post messages in guest books and forums that neither fit to the task nor does the person who posts them have any relationship to the other people in the forum. From my point of view, it does not make much sense to write into a guest book of a person who you do not have any relation to. All in all, people should care more about the things they do and not just send stupid messages to their friends.

No comments: